Today attended a SharePoint training. The speaker was Bart Gunneman and he spoke about SharePoint, explaining the free part SharePoint Services 3.0 in the morning and the licensed MOSS 2007 in the afternoon. SharePoint Services provide in document collaboration, information sharing and enhancing productivity in for instance software developer teams (at least I used SharePoint Services a lot in software development projects in the past). SharePoint Services 3.0 delivers new functionality like:
· Document collaboration (check-in/out, versioning, metadata);
· Project task tracking;
· Contacts, calendars and tasks;
· E-mail integration;
· Directory integration;
· Integration with rich clients through protocols and API’s;
· Integration with smart clients like Outlook 2007.
These functionalities were a demoed by Bart. Next MOSS 2007, the benefits buying a license are the features like:
· Content targeting;
· My Site;
· Enhanced notification services.
All these features were also demoed and explained together with its architecture and administration. I must say this overview was very well explained of MOSS 2007 and SharePoint Services 3.0. It gave me a better knowledge of its possibilities and how it can serve as a host for workflow or serve as a portal to consume services. Training was based on Microsoft’s curriculum:
- 3369B: First Look: Getting Started with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 and
- 3370A: First Look: Getting Started with Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007.
Have a look at it if you want to start getting acquainted with this new technology.
Labels: MOSS 2007, Sharepoint Services 3.0