BizTalk Community Series: The Final an interview with Richard Seroter

The BizTalk Community is a fantastic bunch of professionals. During last two years I had the opportunity to meet many of them in person and conduct interviews with them. I interviewed close to 30 BizTalk professionals around the world.

End of 2011 I had an idea based on the four interview series from Richard Seroter to do a similar thing focusing solely on the BizTalk Community itself. I asked advice from Richard and started with the first interview in January 2012. The goal was to introduce and bring several active BizTalk Community members to the foreground.

For each interview conducted I asked the following questions:

  • Who are you and what do you do for a living?
  • What’s your BizTalk expertise (developing, administration, architecture) and what do like/think about the BizTalk Server product?
  • What do you like to do in your spare time?
  • What sport(s) you like to practice and/or sport team/individual you favor/support (i.e. Ice hockey team, skating, skiing pro, soccer team ...)?
  • What do you like to say to readers of my/your blog?
Based on the answers I created a story that is published through this blog.

I now feel that it is time to end the series and close with a final interview about Richard, who is a community leader in the integration space, an inspiration to many of us and a dear friend.

Richard is the head of product management for the CenturyLink Cloud, an IaaS cloud with data centers around the world.

“I set up our product strategy, publish material on cloud topics, and help organize our monthly software sprints. Other revenue-generating activities include teaching courses for Pluralsight, writing news articles for InfoQ.com, and occasionally writing articles for companies like Salesforce.com.”

Reviewing his output some may think: does he ever sleep or is he always working? Well actually this is his comment on the matter:

“Believe it or not, I don't actually work all the time. I also have been going to school ;) This week, I finished up my final semester of school and now have a Masters in Engineering. Besides school, I also spend my free time with my wife and son, enjoying Southern California. Playing with technology is a big part of what I enjoy, so I'll often spend free moments learning new things, or connecting with people who are experts in various fields.”

Richard is a big American sports fan. On a few occasions I accompanied him together with his friends and fellow Integration MVP’s to a baseball or American football game. Besides that he is quite active himself in some sports.

“Sports are a great outlet and love playing and following a variety of sports. I play softball, basketball and golf, and enjoy following American Football (go Chargers!), baseball and basketball.”

Richard has spent quite sometime with the BizTalk Server product. He has written many useful posts about working with the product combined with use cases, integration scenario’s and best practices.

“I first started working with BizTalk Server in July of 2000. The consulting firm Avanade had just started up, and I was on a small project team that was asked to try out this new product from Microsoft. We did some prototypes with the beta of BizTalk Server, and I got branded a "BizTalk guy" after that! I did a number of projects with BizTalk Server 2000/02/04 and was focused primarily on development. When I was hired by Microsoft in 2005, I focused on helping customers architect enterprise-class BizTalk solutions. When Amgen recruited me in 2007, I got to apply both my development and architecture experience when we set up BizTalk Server as the company-wide service bus.”

Richard has the following to say about BizTalk itself.

“What do I think of BizTalk Server? I think it's likely the most innovative product they've ever produced. When BizTalk Server 2004 came out, it pushed the envelope on what an integration product could be, and it continues to be one of the more powerful -- if misunderstood -- components of the Microsoft server family.”

Richard final words on this series of BizTalk Community stories and the Community.

“You've done such a great service to the community through your interviews, technology demos, and forum/wiki contributions. To your readers, I'd say "be engaged" and take advantage of a fantastic community. Push yourself to grow and expand your knowledge and join user groups where you can spend time with others with the same passion!”

Thank you Richard for your time, contributions and inspiring us. I like to thank all the readers and professionals I interviewed over the last two years. It has been an honor to get to know you!

Cheers,

Steef-Jan
.

Comments

Unknown said…
Fantastic interview and very great effort Steef
Unknown said…
Fantastic and very useful post.I really love it.Thanks for sharing.
Consulting Firms in India

Popular posts from this blog

DTAP Strategy: Pricing and Licensing

Table Operation on Oracle 11g XE with OracleDbBinding

Integration, the community blasting into 2017!